Saturday, December 25, 2010

Assured protection from Autorun.inf

Here is an useful information about protecting your PC's hard drive and portable drives like USB stick and external hard discs from the most infected virus called autorun.inf

I am using an Indian Anti Virus called Net Protector. As soon as I have installed the completed PC security, I noticed a folder named Autorun.inf

I was immediately concerned. I called the support team of the Anti Virus vendor.

I was told that they only installed that folder which is actually empty and it is not the Autorun.inf virus itself. By installing this empty folder, they have protected my PC from Autorun.inf virus. I was not convinced.

Today, I read an answer by Leo (ask-leo.com) a question asked by someone that convinced me about the Net Protector's support team reply.

I quote below the Leo conversation:
"Create a folder named autorun.inf on the root of the USB drive. Set its properties to hidden & system & read-only. This way any infected machine will not be able to create / replace any autorun.inf file on your USB stick thus offering good protection. This approach has always worked for me."

Makes sense-eh?

Thank you Leo.

Full read here: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_keep_my_usb_device_from_becoming_infected.html?awt_l=6.Usl&awt_m=1eym5i08JpdfbL


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment